Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Travel 2016: Prepping for Hawaii

2015 was an incredible year for travel, and I'm hoping that 2016 will be just as exciting. We're kicking off the year with a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii. I first visited Hawaii in February of 2004 and loved it (obviously). The power of the volcano, the beauty of the beaches, and one of my top 3 spa treatments I've ever had.

Me on the Big Island in 2004.

This year David and I are heading there, the first time we've visited this island together. David lived there until he was around 9 years old, and it's a special island to him.

As we dive into our guide books, and booking our tours (snorkeling with manta rays!), part of my prep is to make our travel journal.


For this journal, I decided to keep it similar in feel the ones I made for our previous Hawaiian trips to Kauai, Maui and then Oahu. First I made book cloth out of cute tiki drink fabric (confession: these had once been pajama shorts, until I ripped them and couldn't wear them any more.)


Next, for the title page I kept in the spirit of the Maui and Oahu journals and cut out a map of Hawaii from a vintage atlas, and embroidered the contour of the island by hand.

This journal has a pocket in the back where I've stored envelopes that I can glue in as needed while I'm using it, if I have some ephemera I want to save. Travel tip: always have a glue stick on hand.


As I pulled out previous journals, I was flipping through them, and love how each has a list in it near the end of things I don't need to pack, or wish I had packed. Handy info for prepping for this trip. It's mostly stuff like "you don't need nice shoes" and "you don't need make up" and "you only need one sundress."


Bottom line is, bring fewer clothes so we have more room to bring home Hawaiian snacks in our suitcases.

Want to make your own book cloth, check out this tutorial I put together a few years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment