With January, came time to focus on a journal for myself. I'd been experimenting a lot this past year with embroidery. I did some crewel embroidery, inspired by our trip to Angkor.
I had also been going through old textile books and embroidering designs on them.
This eventually led me (obviously) to embroider on a map. I found one the right size and started by embroidering bodies of water, then the border, and trying to keep the stitches growing from Lisbon. I also experimented with different thicknesses of thread, to add texture.
I then trimmed the map down and used it for the cover of the journal, along with bookcloth. I was happy with the result and it proved to stand up to being used, and going in and out of my bag the week long trip.
I put a pocket at the back of the journal, and in there stored small glassine envelopes that I could glue in as needed, to fill with ephemera.
This trip I tried to make a point of doing more collages on the go, using things I picked up and also trying to sketch more as I go. I don't draw well at all, but am always happy when I get home if I have little sketches throughout a journal.
At four signatures, it proved the perfect size for a week.