Monday, January 13, 2014

New Year, New Trip, New Journal

Happy New Year!

2014 seems to be a year that a lot of people seem excited about. For a lot of people, including us, 2013 was a bit of a strange year. I'm looking forward to 2014 and what will hopefully be a fun and exciting year.

To kick things off, we'll be visiting Asia in February! D's parents moved to Vietnam not too long ago, so we thought it was a good time for a visit. We'll be spending the first half of the trip with his parents, and traveling to places around Southern Vietnam, including the town where D's parents lived when he was born. The second half of the trip we've decided to visit Cambodia, specifically the temples of Angkor Wat. Now that it's starting to get closer, it feels real and we are beside ourselves with excitement.


As usual, a trip requires a journal and I designed one especially for this trip. The past few we've taken, I've felt like my journal was a little big, especially if I wanted to use a smaller bag for the day. The bigger the bag, the more stuff I end up carrying, the heavier it gets, and the more of other people's stuff I start carrying. I like to keep it light and avoid feeling weighted down and crabby.


The bag I bought for this trip has a side pocket that I thought would be perfect for a journal, but it is a bit small for what a long trip would require. I decided to try a two journal solution. I made one small folio that fits one signature. There is a flap on the back that I tuck the back page of the signature into, and it makes for a very slim journal, but also one that has a hard cover.


As I fill each signature, I'll swap out a new one, and then sew the completed one with a quick pamphlet stitch into my thicker journal, where I've already pierced the sewing stations. At the end of the trip, everything will be neatly in one journal, but I don't have to carry the fat one with me every day. I love it!!!! I also put a pocket into the back of the thicker one, in case I want to save any ephemera from along the way.




I also enjoyed making a title page for the beginning of the journal. My second page is usually information for returning the journal if found (my worst fear) and then our flight details so that I have everything handy.



Now that the journal is ready, I'm trying to get my brain into drawing mode. I get hung up on not being "good" at drawing, yet when I look back through past journals, I always enjoy seeing lots of drawings. While they may not be "good" they do slow me down on a trip, and I remember the things I drew differently. So between now and when we leave, I'm going to be trying to draw for 15 minutes each day to get myself used to it again.



2 comments:

  1. You've come up with a brilliant solution for a take-along travel journal! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your journal - what a smart way to handle travel constraints through design!

    ReplyDelete