Monday, July 2, 2012

New Crewel

Thursday night I took a crewel embroidery class at Craftland. For my entire life, my grandmother has had a chair in her living room upholstered with crewel, and the texture of it is so specific. Nothing else feels quite like crewel. While a lot of the embroidery stitches are the same as other forms of embroidery, crewel is done with wool thread, on linen. That's what makes it crewel. 

When we were contacted by Katherine Shaughnessy, from Wool and Hoop, about stopping at Craftland on her book tour promoting her New Crewel book, I jumped at the chance. I was excited to take the class and thrilled that my mom decided to come up and join me. My grandmother just sold her house, and for some reason it seemed like an appropriate time to learn this skill.  We both had a relaxing and fun class learning the basics of crewel embroidery. Hopefully I'll have more projects to follow. I highly recommend checking out the book if you're interested in crewel. 

Conveniently, Craftland now carries copies of the book, as well as some of the crewel kits and embroidery hoops, so you can get started right away. Here is what my little sampler looked like at the end of the class.

1 comment: