Monday, February 21, 2011

Inspiration

This is the time of year I supposedly have down time. In the midst of craziness, I often think that in February I'll be creative. Easier said than done. It's often hard to turn on the creativity on the day I have it scheduled. In an effort to get the juices flowing, I've been putting on some small warps to weave quick samples. I've had mixed success with this, as I realized that I keep weaving upholstery. After 10 years designing for the home furnishings market, I guess old habits are hard to break.

To get upholstery out of my head, I pulled out a bunch of books to pour over and let myself spend some time just looking through, drinking tea, and sketching some ideas. It's hard to break myself from production mode where I'm just cranking things out, so I'm forcing myself to take my time. Here are a few of my favorite textile design books that I feel like sharing.

Lenore Tawney, Signs on the Wind. A groundbreaking textile artist in her time, Lenore Tawney lived to be 100 years old. This book is a collection of postcard collages that she would send people. She did this throughout her life and sent them all over the world.
All my Anni Albers' books I would save in a fire. I have two that she wrote, and then one from an exhibit at the Jewish Museum I went to years ago, and another from a Cooper Hewitt exhibit of the work of her and her husband, Josef Albers. Since I've been away from weaving for awhile, I'm particularly drawn to her texture and pattern studies.
The museum catalog from the Serizawa, Master of Japanese Textile Design exhibit that I saw back in Edinburgh in 2001. I love this book for just being a gorgeous book, the paper feels incredible, and the design is just perfect. I blogged about this book, and Serizawa here.
A Handbook of Weaves by G.H. Oelsner. A reference book that no weaver is without.

No comments:

Post a Comment