Thursday, September 2, 2010

Book Swap: Recycled Theme

A couple of times a year, the Bookbinding Etsy Street Team has book swaps, where we mix up names and mail each other books. This proves to be a lot of fun, and since most of us are book addicts, it's a guilt free way to add to our collections. This recent book swap we decided to go with a recycled theme, and design our book around that.
When I noticed that I'd be mailing this book to Brooklyn, I decided to use a map I had from 1950. I love this map because it has a message on it that reads "Paper is precious, Please do not throw this map away." (I blogged about it here.) I thought that message fit well with our recycled theme. I also was determined not to buy any supplies for this, or use any "new" supplies. I have piles of board and paper cut down from other projects and gave myself the limitation of only using supplies from those resources. The end result was a book that is an interesting 3" x 5.5" and oriented horizontally. It's a fun size actually. Small enough to fit into a purse or pocket, yet big enough to serve as a journal. I aimed to include Brooklyn on the front of the journal, since that's where I was mailing it.

I hope she likes it! I'll share whatever book I receive as soon as I do.

2 comments:

  1. Your map journals are beautiful, I'm sure the receipient will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and a beautiful book!

    ReplyDelete