Friday, August 20, 2010

Levi's Traveling Journal Project

I've been keeping a secret for the last two months and just got the thumbs up to go ahead and share it!

In July I was contacted by a company in London asking if I would like to make two books for a project for Levi Strauss. I was one of eight bookbinders chosen from Etsy to make two books as a part of their Traveling Journal Project. These sixteen journals will be sent to young women around the world who are using their creativity to make a difference in their communities. Here's the official description from Levi's:
"Levi’s is accessing its roots in craft, authenticity and self expression in a new project to discover how young women around the world are shaping the future–and who inspired them to be who they’ve become.

Eight professional book-binders, all members of ETSY, have created a total of 16 amazingly beautiful journals and boxes that are being adored and adorned by creative young women around the world who have made a difference for themselves, their community or for the world only.

Each woman who inscribes the book will provide a 4-6 page story, written and or illustrated, about who or what made a difference in their lives and what advice they have for other young women who will follow in their footsteps. Each woman has one week to complete their assignment. A donation to a global women’s charity will be made in their name."
For me, this seemed almost too awesome to believe it was real. In fact, I didn't believe it was real at first! I love to travel, and make books with maps in part because I love sending them on journeys around the world and then hearing people tell me stories about where they've been, and what was special about that journey. I'm also inspired by women using their creativity to make a difference in their lives, to become more self-sufficient and empowered.

For me, traveling means learning about different parts of the world and the people who live there. It's about connecting to people and learning about life there. The thought of my books being filled with the stories of different women around the world makes me so excited.
I'll keep you up to date, hopefully I'll get to see some of the books when they're filled up and completed. For now, here are some photos of my books!

9 comments:

  1. that is so killer. reblog imminent
    great stuff K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats - what a way to kick off THIS weekend! Interesting that corporations are paying attention to the handmade movement and promoting appreciation for its artists/crafters, including you. Such an awesome project to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wanted a great Birthday week and you got it! Nice one!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...this project is so awesome...and my Kristin is part of it.....you make so proud!!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so exciting and interesting!! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    I'm one of the women you mention who are writing in the book you made - just wanted to introduce myself and congratulate you on your beautiful work!

    Amanda Jones,
    Red Button Design
    - www.redbuttondesign.co.uk
    - www.midomobracelet.org

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda, Awesome!!! Thanks so much for getting in touch. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete