Friday, March 19, 2010

1950 New York Map

I'm working on a custom order for the lakes region of New York. When I pulled out my maps, I found a New York one from 1950. (Lately, people seem to be giving me piles of old maps, so I'm not sure who it was from.) My favorite part is that in big letters on the front of the map is the warning: Paper is Precious! Please do not throw this map away! I'm grateful someone listened and saved this map! It'll get a new life as a book. I also can't help thinking how times have changed. I feel like our maps today would say "Please throw this out as soon as you get home, so you can spend more money on a new one."
Also awesome were the little illustrations, and the chart of what the gas tax was in each state at the time. So great! Love the drawing of the bike rider, cute tie blowing over his shoulder!

1 comment:

  1. What a great find! I'm sure you'll come up with something really special from this map!

    ReplyDelete