Monday, January 4, 2010

My Crafting Hangover

For a lot of people, the new year kicks off with the predictable hangover brought on by the excessive glasses of bubbly on the 31st. My hangover was a little different this year, it didn't require any hair of the dog, or big bowl of pho, because I was so exhausted that I went to bed at 10pm. Instead, I woke up in January with a Crafting Hangover.

The holiday selling season proved to be a great one for me, but all the hours spent crafting led to burn out. I tried to jump right back into things, but found myself completely incapable of making anything! I finally decided to give myself a break and treat the hangover with the best thing I could come up with: inspiration.

I picked up the book I started reading on the flight home from Phoenix (mid-October), I watched the U2 DVD I got for Christmas while sitting on the couch . . . doing nothing! (That's right, I just watched . . . without knitting, folding paper, or sewing a book!) I also started reading guide books and sketching out ideas for a travel journal that's all for me. Yay! In January 2010 D & I will be taking an exciting trip to Ecuador! I can't wait! We'll spend a week in the capital city, Quito, with a day trip to the famous Otavalo Market. (If anyone has been and has any suggestions, please leave them in the comments section.)

I think it's important for people with creative jobs, especially people who are self-employed, to remember to let yourself be inspired. It may look like you're sitting around doing nothing, but it's important to refuel and let those creative juices simmer for a while.

2 comments:

  1. I know just how you feel Kristin.... I still would have opted for the Pho tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quito is one of the most beautiful cities in Ecuador. I recommend you to visit also the Middle of the world monument 40 minutes from Quito. You can also visit Mindo (1 hour from Quito), Papallacta (2 hours from Quito) and Banos (3 hours from Quito) All of these are beautiful towns full of nature.

    ReplyDelete