Here's my small list of the places I know about, which all seem to lack a little in the ambience department, I wouldn't mind something a step up in vibe.
- Pho Paradise and its sister Phonatic: Vietnamese cuisine with the best pho in town. (Pho Paradise is on Broad Street and Phonatic is on Angel Street, a few steps off of Thayer.)
- Tina's Caribbean: Right on Federal Hill, this place is a gem. Wednesday nights all entrees are $9 and you can bring your own Red Stripe. You really can't beat it.
- Tokyo: Japanese food on Wickenden Street.
- Meeting Street Cafe: Located on Meeting Street, just off of Thayer.
- United BBQ: Relatively new place on Ives Street. Tasty food, but I'd prefer to bring it home and enjoy it from there.
- Fellini's: Again, Wickenden Street.
- Sakura: Wickenden Street. I've never been here, but it's been recommended.
- Los Andes: Chalkstone Avenue. I've never been here either, but I'm dying to try it.