Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Message in a Bottle

I've had The Police stuck in my head for a few days now. On Sunday, D & I went for a hike on Napatree Point, in Watch Hill, Rhode Island. (It's another of the hikes from this book and was perfect to do this time of year.) While walking along I spotted a green bottle, with a message inside! My head immediately filled with all kinds of cool and romantic ideas of where it came from and who had sent it out.
Come to find out, it was thrown into the water as part of a study done by the Mystic Seaport Maritime Studies Program, to learn more about the surface currents off of Long Island Sound. We found bottle #33 and had to go online, here, when we got home to log where and when we found it. We were extra geeky and figured out the lat/long for the spot where we were. Turns out our bottle hadn't traveled very far, but it was still fun to find and feel like we were part of someone's science project.

3 comments:

  1. I go to the beach more than anyone I know and I always hope to find one!!! Too cool....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you mean David had to look up the lat/lon? I'm disapointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, David gave me the lat/long when we got home. I told him "If Hart were here, he could mark it with his watch!"

    ReplyDelete