Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Fashioning Felt at the Cooper-Hewitt






I just got back from a quick visit down to New Jersey to visit family. Tuesday, Mom and I went to the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum to see their exhibit Fashioning Felt, if you're a textile lover like I am, it is not to be missed.

The exhibit includes felt used in a variety of applications; fashion, furniture, architecture, jewelry. It showed high tech uses of it, as well as felt pieces hundreds of years old. I love seeing pieces shown together from vastly different times and places, yet each holding its own. Felting is such an old process, and I'm always drawn to seeing ancient techniques being used to form contemporary pieces. I particularly enjoyed the garments, most made without any sewing, and the Palace Yurt was breaktaking.

If you can't get to the show, be sure to check out the exhibit website, it's so inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment