Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Stuff Other People Make: Novica


Last week this gorgeous vase arrived on our new doorstep, a housewarming gift from close friends. It was purchased from Novica, a site associated with National Geographic. How did I miss this one? This is right up my alley. Their mission statement:

"We want to give artists and artisans around the world a global platform to express their true artistic talents and to spur their creativity. And, we want to provide you with access to unique, hard-to-find items at great values that only the Internet infrastructure can allow. At the deepest essence of our philosophy, we want to create a bridge between you and the many talented artisans across the globe."

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that my first response was "How could I work for them? Do they need someone to travel the world finding local craftspeople making gorgeous fabric?" (I'll have to do some research, that's pretty much my fantasy job.)

The vase also arrived with a postcard of Rio, with a note from the artists. I was also able to go online and read about, and see photos of, the Seguso Family who made this vase by hand.

Check it out, it's awesome. Some faves that I found while cruising the site: (is there any easy way to add captions to photos in blogger?)

1 comment:

  1. Novica is great! What a beautiful gift from your friends!

    ReplyDelete