Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Book Inscriptions

I spent a few hours last night organizing my bookshelves. This was a tall task, I have a lot of books. I found myself opening a lot to see what was inside. I usually write my name and date inside each book, so I know when I read it. I also get excited seeing inscriptions from other people in books I've bought in used book stores; that little glimpse into a book's previous life.

My faves are books with inscriptions to me from whoever gave me the book. I love remembering the time or place I got the book, the special person who gave it to me, or the event that prompted the gift. It always makes me smile.

Below is a photo of one of my favorite inscriptions. In kindergarten, I was so enthusiastic about Charlotte's Web, a story we first saw as a film strip (do those still exist in schools today?). My mom gave me the book on the last day of school that year with promises that first grade would bring with it all that I wanted: to read! (What's funny is my mom is deathly afraid of spiders, that's dedication.)

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet sentiment. Love seeing the simple print from your mommy and adorable sticker. Nowadays, I avoid inscribing books in case someone already has it or wants to exchange it for some reason (as in five copies of Oh, The Places You'll Go for college graduation) but will have to start doing it again after reading this. You're right: inscriptions matter!

    ReplyDelete