Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day!

Or as I like to call it, "The Day Everybody Else Drinks." I always have mixed feelings about St. Patrick's Day. Why is it my culture has its day celebrated with all-day public inebriation? Sure, Ireland is known for its beer, but France is known for its wine and no one spends Bastille Day getting tanked on Bordeaux. It's a strange thing. I like to joke that I enjoy good beer all year long, so I'm not forced to consume my entire year's worth in one day.

Still, I do like celebrating. How will I do it this year? I started out by baking some delicious Irish soda bread. I'm by no means a cook and don't particularly enjoy spending time in the kitchen (unless I'm eating), but I do love Irish soda bread and make some every year.


Plus, I get a kick out of my annual use of my pastry blender. Doing this, of course, involved listening to a playlist heavy in U2, Van Morrision, the Pogues, Thin Lizzy and a smattering of silly Irish drinking songs. (Maybe that's why everyone thinks the Irish drink so much, they were always singing about it!)


Tonight I'm going to make some potato leek soup, and continue with the above playlist. In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I'm offering a special to my blog readers: anyone who buys my Ireland pocket journal today will get 2 free surprise Gocco printed cards included in their package. Just say Happy St. Patrick's Day in the notes to seller.

(And yes, in case you're wondering, that is a handknit Aran sweater my iPod is wearing. Knit by me and super cute.)

1 comment:

  1. Love it "no one spends Bastille Day getting tanked on Bordeaux"! I read a history once about how the Irish were vilified as drinkers (at the time untrue) and how that turned into many Irish embracing that reputation... *shrug* I'd rather be called a potato-lover, personally, especially since it's oh so true.

    :-) Happy belated St. Paddy's!

    ReplyDelete