Monday, March 16, 2009

Mahalo!

I'm a big fan or knowing how to say thank you in the native language of any place you're traveling. Even though Hawaii is a state, they still retain a lot of Hawaiian words in everyday speech. So if you're going to Hawaii, you'd better learn to say Mahalo. You'll hear it everywhere you go and if you're like me, the sound of it will start to make you happy.

I've been to Hawaii twice, to the Big Island in 2004 and then in January 2008 I spent two weeks on Kauai. Ever since, I've been trying to figure out a way to get back. That Aloha spirit really does get under your skin.

Inspired by the hanging heliconia, the beautiful tropical flower that you see all over Hawaii, I designed and Gocco printed these thank you cards. I simplified a photo I had taken into a two color illustration and printed it along with the word Mahalo. They make me happy. (These cards are now listed in my Etsy shop.)




No comments:

Post a Comment