Friday, March 13, 2009

Bookbinding Etsy Street Team

As someone who sells blank books, I thought I'd start an occasional series on filling up all these blank books you've been buying. I'm a member of the Bookbinding Etsy Street Team and posted this originally in our team blog. Since people appear to have actually liked it, I thought I'd post it here too.

My idea is to post a different journal-keeping idea, along with some examples from some of my favorite books and inspiration or from my own journals. Sound good? Hopefully you’ll find it inspiring.

I’m going to start with one of my own journals. One of my favorite things to do when traveling, especially to some place warm and beautiful, is to
paint the sunset. Since this can be daunting, especially to me who is not a painter, I limit myself to quick 5 minute paintings and only use a cute, tiny watercolor kit. Allowing myself only 5 minutes per painting frees me from feeling like the painting has to be perfect, my colors painstakingly correct, or in any way finished.

What it does let me do is focus on the sky and the moment, quickly capture the colors in the sky, and focus on how the beautiful colors. It’s amazing how fast the sun goes down when you’re doing 5 minute paintings. It’s also amazing how you absorb the sky and the colors when you’re really focusing on it.


This page is from the journal I took with me to Cost
a Rica in February 2007. Aaahhhh . . . it was warm there.


2 comments:

  1. good stuff kristin. new pics each day?? loom / works in progress?? best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely Kristin! I love your sunset paintings idea. :)

    I do something similar (choose little items or scenes to sketch and then paint very quickly), although I don't go on many trips. I love those little pocket watercolor paints you can get, and I use a Niji water brush. It really adds to the richness of the trip, and is so much fun to look back on.

    ReplyDelete